Sunday, July 25, 2010

Testing ones fitness

Today I decided I would get a gauge on where my fitness is. I have had a long lay off that has lengthened due to a nagging injury in my calf. It has frustrated me no end and has hindered my usually positive attitude add that with gaining 4kgs and you get a very unhappy camper!!! So after jogging around the cross country course, which was also near the track....I decided it was time to head down and see what damaged has been done. I have never like pyramid training (400, 800, 1200, 800, 400) so I thought I would give fartlaks ago.....I dont really know how they should be done but figured if I go fairly hard out for 400m and then gently for the next etc....It would give me a base idea of where my fitness is. I also thought that my training twice daily on the treadmill will have helped me but I have not budged the weight nor my fitness.....odd.

So I started out doing a few laps to warm up, some drills and some stretches and I felt I was ready for it. I was also thank full I was the only one at the tract too.

My first 400 was in 2:05 (my lungs were burning so badly I barly made the 400m)
so it was then a really slow 400m to recover 2:41
My second 400 was in 2:10 (didnt feel as bad as the first one...ok 5secs slower but didnt hurt as much)
then another slow one but I forgot to hit lap on my watch when I started on the fast but I know from looking at the split
My third 400 was in 2:06 (My breathing started getting really hard around the 300m mark and I was really pushing hard to keep it up to cross the 400m)
once more I slowed it down to try and recover....I dont think I had recovered from the first one...
My fourth 400 was in 2:13 and it hurt!!! I was had it and really breathing hard and new I didnt have it in me to try another so I slowed it down for a recovery lap and then decided to restart my watch and walk for 2km at training pace to recover 12:12 and managed stay fairly consistent in my laps.

Some where over in the corner of the track are my lungs...probably still making whimpering noises....BUT the good thing to come out of this is I know have data to compare to each month. I have 2.5 months to get back up to speed to race in the 20km long distance champs and I WILL BREAK MY 2 HOURS THIS TIME!!!! I have alot of hard work ahead of me but I will do it!!!!!

heres my data for the fartlaks
400m fartlaks by kyisis at Garmin Connect - Details

and for my 2km cool down
2km cooldown by kyisis at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments: