Sunday, November 22, 2009

Boosting the training prog for the Trial

Well I have been given my new training program. Gulp!!!!

Seeing as I have spent the last 3 months training to 10km only ... we have had to drop me back to 7min/km pace and add distance to get my stamina up. So each weekend the Sunday walk extends by 2km.

Today we did a slow 18km and next Sunday is the dreaded 20km. The scary part of the training is the weekend after that................that's when we step up the pace too.

I am intending to get 20km done in 2hours......the qualifying time is 2hours 8mins...which is more than do able. What gives me doubts is googling the names of the other competitors and seeing their recent times. Ok some were un-judged so that could make a difference on the day, but it did stop me and make me think "why am I doing this?"

Then I think about what all this means to me....At my age to even be trying for the trial team is an amazing feat, to actually have a shot at the 4th spot is again an amazing feat and if I have to be truthful I guess I have a small fear that I am aging and am trying to recapture a small portion of youth. Ok...so I laugh when I read that too, but......I do think that race walking has turned out to be my fountain of youth. I feel younger than ever, fitter than I have ever been, have a waist again, have toned up, feel healthy and fantastic!!!!

I can now understand how athletes can end up addicted to exercise. The endorphins you get from a good hard walk make all the days stress's disappear. You cant but help to feel positive and smile...LOTS.....

I was told recently by one of the juniors that "race walking is the new pink" I have to agree with her. :0)

3 comments:

Rob Elliott said...

Hi Is the trial for match v Australia or am I miles off?
You seem very positive for 2 hours clocking. Take some effort from you but sure you`ll get there. Good luck.
Rob E

Nyle said...

Hi Rob, yes this will be the first fully santioned team for NZ racewalking and we will be competing against the Under 25 Australian team for the Oceania Cup. We will form an open team...but I am confident the first three will be juniors. I will be busting my gutt to get as close to 2 hours as possible. Time limit is 2:08. It would be huge to be selected for this team.

Rob Elliott said...

Thats something great to aim at then! Hopefully you will make it and the get to see some of the real fast men in action as well. Inspiring stuff to see them move at 80 mins pace! Do you get Tim Ericksons Victorian RWC newsletter?
Thats how I keep up with Australian news. Online at http://www.vrwc.org.au/ internet newsletters page.Even an address to get it direct, weekly.
Rob