Saturday, February 06, 2010

Tearing up the rubber on the track

Friday night evening meet at the track.

The club put on a 2000m walk for all us walkers.

My coach has been holding coaching sessions and we now have a really awesome group of budding race-walkers. So its great when the club puts on a proper walk for us....(by proper I mean gun start and electronic timing etc.) My hubby had asked what time I was hoping to do and I would be happy to get 12mins but he laughed at me and said you know you should be able now to do 11mins.....ppppffffttttt I thought.

We had a line up of 7 walkers and one judge (injured training partner)

I was keen to have a stretch out as I have been off for three weeks with a hamstring injury and have only been doing short and slow distances. But coach said "if the leg feels good then go for gold" And go for gold I did!

With my coach hot on my heels I zipped off to an early lead but I was expecting at an moment he would pass by but he never did. It took a couple of laps to settle into a rhythm but I kept the pace up and was surprised that my fittness was still up there and my breathing wasn't too labored.

I crossed the line in 10:49:07 and I was thrilled! A PB by 3 mins (ok it was 2 years ago since I raced a 2000m) oh and hubby was right!!!!

The best news is my leg held out and was not sore. It gives me one week until the Buller Half Marathon, I just have to hope that my fitness will see me through to the end.

2 comments:

Glennis said...

fit as a buck rat alright!
Gosh you did a good time!

Tammy said...

impressive time!!!!