Friday, March 19, 2010

3 races in 3 weekends

Yes there has been a lacking of blogging since Buller. I didn't expect Buller to take so long to recover from. Two weeks on and my training was near zero, I was exhausted, grumpy, feeling blue and just not happy in general.

I had hit the wall...literally.

With NZ Nationals and NZ Masters looming I was feeling even more despondent. My weight jumped 3 kg and I was feeling more miserable than ever.

So, the only thing I could do was change aspects in my life that I could change. So first I handed in notice for my part time job (getting up at 4am two days in a row was just to difficult for me) Giving me back my weekends and instantly I was not longer tired and was feeling much happier. I reworked my training prog with my coach and we hit the track to see if I could still hit my training pace ... and I was thrilled to see I could. I am a little concerned for the 20km pace but all in all not too much damage has been done. I have dropped 2 of the 3 kgs gained so am feeling less stodgy and much happier.

Then yesterday I received an email from CHCH giving me the entry for a one hour track walk.....its a race I love to do.

So now I have this on my agenda -

25 - 27 march NZ Nationals (3000m track walk & 20km road walk)
2 - 4 april - NZ Masters Champs (3000m track walk & 10km road walk)
11 april - Frank Aplin 1 hour track walk

I am not quite sure how I will fit all this into my training prog as I am now tapering for the first event and with only 1 week between each event it will be hard to keep peaking for 3 weeks.

So if anyone has any advice on how to train between events I would very much appreciate it.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Race and recover!!! The races will keep your fitness at a higher level and just do aerobic conditioning between. You can drop to 1/3 of your total weekly mileage for up to 8wks and still maintain your fitness.

Glennis said...

You will be just fine Nyle, go out there and show them!
Thanks for the info on Hawks Crag, I didn't know that about the flood levels.