Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Race wobbles???

I have been bombing out in my workouts and I dont know why? There really seems no rhyme or reason for it. I know that the earth quake in Christchurch rattled me, but that was almost two weeks ago. I just cant break past the 10km mark.

I have 5 weeks left until I fly up for the NZ Long Distance Walk Champs and I am so not ready. In fact I should not even be considering this event but I had pre booked my flights when they were cheaper. I hate entering competitions and not beating my previous times or at least coming in extremely close to them. I was so hoping to beat my 2 hour time but I know that I would be kidding myself to hold on to that goal.

I feel like I am getting slower and slower. I am trying so hard to change my style that I almost feel like I have gone back to the beginning...grrr...and its so frustrating.

My new dream job has turned into a nightmare and I am guessing that this is my main problem and the reason why I cant get my head into my sport at present. We have been given two choices - 4 weeks notice or take a reduced salary with less hours. So I am job hunting as fast as I can. Hopefully if I can find a stable work environment it will settle my head and I will get past this "mood".

On Sunday I had intended to do 15km on the track. I prefer to do long distance on the track as it is easier to get pace judgment and its flat! But unfortunately when I went down there are a pair of nesting Spur Winged Plovers that other ideas. After many close calls from the diving bombing pair I decided it was impossible to racewalk while constantly watching out for 2 birds that would attack from behind and the side. Plus it was also pouring with rain...but that is character building so my coach tells me. I packed up and went out to the Atawhai Walkway, were it cleared up and I set out to do 10km. I was hoping for 61mins instead I ended up with 63.21....its not bad but I felt that I was flogging myself the whole way....not one part of it was easy. So it was a quick trip to my coachs for a motivational pep talk and then home to ponder.

My Garmin data of my 10km Walk
10km Atawahi drive by kyisis at Garmin Connect - Details

PS....as a side note to myself - by Sunday night I had the start of my migraine which at day 2 is still throbbing and has robbed me of a training night, so this may have had a big impact on my training Sunday morning.

1 comment:

Rob Elliott said...

Try not to worry too much about "times" at all sessions. Sometimes helps to just get out and do perhaps a one to two hour walk without the worry of how far you have been.Give the garmin a day off!
Personally I do not think it is always necessary to be a slave to the clock. Good luck with the job hunting.
Rob