Thursday, October 07, 2010

A walk up the Grampian Hills behind our house.

Well tonight was a x-train so Hubby and I grabbed the dogs and chose to walk up the Grampians behind us.  We used to do this every night last summer and both of us got very fit very quickly.  Its not a huge climb but when unfit its a good 35 minute walk but when fit we would blast it out in 20 minutes.  Tonight it was a 35min walk as we and our dogs are not so fit anymore and surprisingly it was me who felt the effects of walking up hill....by 3/4 up the hill my calf's were really hurting and when we walked down I had to stop twice to stretch them out as they kept cramping......"old age is what my hubby muttered a couple of times"..... hes such a funny man!! lol

The path up is just a dirt path amongst ferns and high trees with a bubbling brook running by the path, something our dogs loved lots.  When we got to the top I wandering to the look out and took some photos but sadly as the weather was just starting to turn it was sort of foggy so its not Nelson at its best. 

I have put little comments on each of the photos.....I have zoomed in for these as it seemed to make the photo clearer.  The port shot shows the 1km loop I used for my 20km walk and my 10km kick back.  Nelson's port is one of the busiest in New Zealand.  Then we look straight down and can see our house and the walk way that I start and finish most of my walks on.  (This will be the start of the 16km on Sunday.....straight up the 45m gradiant...ugh) Also had to put one photo in of our dogs....dont have any kids at home any more so we spoil these guys rotten in stead.

A close up of the Port and Marina....also shows where I have been doing my 1km loops.
 Looking down on our house and Railway Reserve
 Looking out over the Port.. and part of residential Nelson
 Hubby and our dogs at the top.....letting the dogs get their breathe back - trixie was sniffing for rabbits....
 this is a section of the track (I stole it from the mountain bike site....shhhhh)

3 comments:

Tammy said...

It's so beautiful where you live! Thank you for sharing the photos :)

Glennis said...

Beautiful view from up there,I like the way you have managed to add the words on the photos.

Andrew Shelley said...

What a great place to go for a walk! And a great way to get some relevant cross-training done. I always find that trails like that are mentally quite refreshing after the hard work of training on the road.