Thursday, April 08, 2010

NZ Masters Champs 2010 - 10km Road Walk

Sunday morning....Daylight savings too.....We turned our clocks back an hour before going to bed. Which I did on my cell phone and then set my alarm for 6.30am...what I didn't know was that Telecom (my service provider) also puts your time back... so my alarm went off and I woke everyone up and we all got up and went to get food when someone mentioned that by their watch it was only 5.30am.....hmmmmmm well its lucky I am blonde ............ my name was mud by all and YES well headed back to bed grumbling as we went.

When we woke up at the right time, it was drizzling and rather cold. I was not happy about this as I don't race well in the cold. In fact I race badly in the cold, my feet go numb and I cant get warm. We packed up all our stuff and headed off to the road walk (same course as the 20km from the week before) I was feeling ok and hoping to do better than 59:19 (which was my 10km split from the 20km walk)

I stripped off my tracksuit and went out to warm up. It was getting colder and colder and I was not sure that I would stay warm enough to race in a tank top. With 5mins to spare I made the call to quickly put on a long sleeve top. The only one I had brought was a Lycra Heat Weave (used for hot days NOT cold and one I had never raced in before) I just hoped the long sleeves would protect me from the cold.



We all lined up for the start (all shivering) and we were off. I took lead for the first km and then Eric (in the yellow to my right) slowly pulled away from me. I did try to follow but its not a pace that I can keep up for long distance...YET....my coach (in white between me and eric) stayed behind and each lap I passed him would tell me to catch Eric, keep my head up, push hard, keep going......yep racing with your coach behind you is...PRESSURE!! lol... but I did need the push and yes it did help me.

My two worst legs were km 6 & 8.....by now my mind was giving up. My body hurt and I was feeling race weary!! I couldn't focus on the now and kept thinking of my next race in two weeks. Its funny how your mind wanders during a race and how long it takes you to realise that it has. On the 8th km it was as I turned for my last two km loop that I snapped out of it and gave my self a swift kick and telling off.

I gave chase to Eric and did gain some ground on him...not enough to bet him but enough to gain my self some pride. As I rounded the cone that marked my 9th km....I knew it was only going to hurt for 5 more mins...the rain was starting and it was time to bring it home. I dug in and pushed hard and managed a new personal best for 10km of 58:42



Split Time
1 0:05:45
2 0:05:50
3 0:05:47
4 0:05:53
5 0:05:53
6 0:05:57
7 0:05:55
8 0:06:00
9 0:05:51
10 0:05:46
Summary 0:58:42

So again I was first female, 2nd overall and 1st in my age group. Plus NO MARKS on the board and NO WARNINGS!!! yaya

Once my coach had finished we zipped back to the park to collect our Gold Medals. Showered and then hit the road for the long drive home.



All in all, it has been my best season yet. I have made huge gains in time and distance. I have one year to focus on Sacramento now and I am sure I will improve by the same margins again.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

nice race report, speedy lady :)
I like your optimism, too! I'm trying to catch some of that but it's hard when coming back from injury layoff. Self-doubt is too easy.

Rob E said...

Still going well, keep it up, whats the target distance for the next event at One Hour? I enjoy reading your full reports, a good insight to walking from the other end of the world.
Have you done a One Hour Walk before? I found my first hour walk strange to do, chasing the clock but still having to walk for one hour.

Nyle said...

Tammy - dont self doubt, your speed is back and you will be stronger too. Trust your body.
Rob - I have walked this race twice before. I found it really intimidating to begin with as you are racing yourself and the clock. The first time I missed out on a medal by 50m. Last year I won a Bronze by walking 9.25, this year I hope to aim for a silver.
For my age grade its
Bronze 9.1 km
Silver 9.9 km
Gold 10.7km
Calculating my distance by my walking avg from last weeks 10km I should walk 10.25km so not quiet yet a Gold....that's NEXT years goal.

Rob E said...

I reckon you are on for 10kms plus a lap.Unfortunately I never did this event when at my best, many years ago. Those I looked up to, who were capable of 13kms per hour used to say they treated the One Hour as a 10kms race then hung on for the final 15 minutes or so!
Good walking.Looking forward to next report.