Monday, June 07, 2010

My Racewalking Style



I have had quite a layoff and am just starting to get back into it again. So my style today is a little more stiff than I normally have...plus I thought I was much more hippy but this shows me I am still not moving enough in my hips.

I have been told I have a very militant style (1940's) which is very stiff through the shoulders. Unfortunately for me.....its the exact same style my coach has, so we can see how I have come about in adapting it.

So now I have the decision of .. do I work with this or do I try and change it.

I watch the younger walkers at NZ Nationals, they are all ex runners and walk with a very smooth and fluid style, with a definite body twist - shoulders coming forward and back for the drive...not just the arms pumping. Is this a better way?

I guess I shall wait and see what my coach says about it....but I welcome any feed back from any walkers that can offer advice to me.

4 comments:

Glennis said...

First time I have really observed you race walking. Your fast but a wee bit stiff specially round your shoulders, but it looks good and fluid to me, but what do I know. The arms must help a bit I recon.

Tammy said...

Nyle - love the video! What I enjoy the most is hearing the lawnmowers - in June! (the equivalent of our December). We pretty much don't mow between late October and late April so I love your warm winter!!!

OK, really, I enjoyed watching you RW. You look good, and legal :). I think that you could go a LOT faster with a few technique modifications...seems to me that you could gain a lot of stride length by allowing a little more rotation in the pelvis, which will allow your legs to extend farther behind you at toe-off. At your toe-off, your legs are not that far apart (front to back) and so I think you're losing a lot of power there. When your pelvis rotates a little more, your shoulders will do likewise, which will make you a little less stiff there.

Keep in mind I am no RW expert though :) just another amateur who loves the sport!

Also, you look very fit! Ahhh, if I could only lose a few more lbs on the ol' hips...sigh....

Harriet said...

The guy who taught me walks like this (Augie Hirt...still holds the US 100 km track walk record and has walked 80 km in under 7:30).

Nyle said...

Thanks so much Tammy. I have talked about this tonight with my coach and he agrees. We are going to make a few changes. One that I did do myself was drive my arms back further to lengthen my stride. I did the 5km walk tonight in 29:21 took nearly a minute of my time from four nights ago. Now to work on flexibility and to get lighter on my feet. But we will start doing video work once a month now. Thanks again for the feed back.

Oh and we got our first frost today is was -1 this morning (30f) so winter is starting for us...it is dark in the morning until 7 am and dark by 5.30pm....not much fun for training.