Sunday, June 20, 2010

Race Walk Pace Workout



Tonight I went to the track to do a short sharp pace workout. My goal was to stick to 2:20 per lap. This was my race pace for 10km (giving me 5min 50 per km) It has been a couple of months since I have walked consistently at this pace and was not so sure I could keep it up.

My hubby came down to be the official video-er! I said to him to just film me at random times so that I dont know when I am being filmed. Best way to check on style as you do tend to be more strict if you know you are being filmed. What I have found from tonight's filming is that I am not getting my toes up high enough nor am I pushing off properly yet. My coach is thinking of having me shorten my stride but quicken my turn over ... thus propel me forward quicker. The only trouble is due to me being quite tall a short stride can look rather awkward....but we both agree that I still dont see to have the racewalk "roll"....but it is coming and I didnt feel as stiff tonight as I have done.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Fun to watch you walk. So did you keep the 2:20/lap? That's my 10K race pace too (I hope...PR is a teeny bit slower than that, more like 5:52-5:53/km). We are going to have a good race next summer! :)

Nyle said...

Yes I did manage to stick to 2:20...I check each time I cross the 200m mark that I am 1:10 (I think you see me checking my watch in the video lol) I am putting my name forward for selection of a NZ team so I need to get back up to race pace quickly. I dont expect to get picked but its best to be in form just in case. :0) I will try to do video like that once a month and put it up on You Tube...will be fun watching my style changing and hopefully me getting faster. We are going to have a blast.....both on the track and off.