Saturday, July 24, 2010

Club and Tasman Centre Cross Country Champs

Last year I opted to run beside my husband when he entered the Cross Country Champs. As he was a senior man he had to run 8km so I entered the Senior woman's grade so that I could run with him. Unfortunately he only made one lap and pulled out due to an injury leaving me to run the way by myself. Any how that run won me the Club cup as NO women from our club had entered that grade. So it was a big joke that me the walker had won a running cup.

So when I saw the event come up again I thought I would run it again only this time stick to Vet Masters which is 6km. There was a walk section but seriously.....race walking is for flat smooth surface courses...not off road, mud and banks. So again I opted to run/jog this one.

Today was perfect for any kind of race. No cloud, sun and no breeze...about 15degs so long shirts were off and it was actually just right. The laps were 2km - so I only had to go round 3 times. I was not sure how well I would do as a runner I am not and with my calf being touch and go most days...but we set off. I stayed at the back and ticked along slowly with a few others that were taking it easy. By the second lap there were only 3 of us jogging merrily along watching the others way ahead of us. The course was a mix of flat and rises with a bit of mud about. As it had not rained the night before it was not too slippery and the little banks had no water in them. By lap 3 my legs were feeling heavy and my calf was starting to hurt. I had toyed with the idea of doing the senior distance but when I saw the finish line I was just pleased to run into the shoot and end it. Final time for the 6km run was 31:31 not to bad for an overweight walker. Infact I cant wait until I can walk 6km in that time!!!

I am not sure yet what time the walkers finished in. They too did 6km on the same course. I know Pete finished in 38 mins and that Wendy was a good half lap ahead of him. She was fair flying.

But a it was a fun race to do...its not often I get to run and its nice to not have all the rules to be mindful of.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Overweight? YOU!?!? You have GOT to be kidding me! You look amazing and I can't believe you think you need to lose weight!!!

Anyway...nice job on the race - very fast! Sorry about your calf bugging you though :(. Beautiful weather too. 15C - would KILL to have a day like that in our winter time! We're thrilled if it gets to 8C in the winter :).