Sunday, July 18, 2010

Easy 10km Training

Today's training started out as a shambles. My Coach and I were to head out at 10am, but after a fun night out at a fellow walkers 60th Surprise birthday party.....well needless to say my coach was still asleep at 10am!!

So when he finally arose and said you go....I headed out at 2pm. By this time I really didn't have the heart for it so decided it would be a gentle walk for some fun and enjoyment. Plus I wanted to take it easy on my calf and test it over the 10km distance. So today I decided to drive down to Anzac Park and head out along Rocks Road. This is a really pretty walk as you follow the sea the whole way, the only down fall is the heavy traffic and the much tooting and cat calling.

The day was beautiful, hardly any cloud or wind...in fact it was actually quite hot, so hot that when I made it to KFC at Tahuna (the turn around point) I stopped for a drink at the fountain and took my long sleeve top off (something I never do as I feel the cold terribly) So with my head phones blaring rock music, sea gulls calling and the waves splashing against the walls I was walking on...I happily walked back to my car....making a small detour down Atkinson street to help make up the distance. The funnest site on my walk was a lady that was much more happier than I was to be out.....she was dancing along Rocks Road....and I mean DANCING....high kicks and hip shacking and arms rocking.....was the funniest site!!

So I was very pleased to finish up in 1:02:47
Rocks Road 10km by kyisis at Garmin Connect - Details

I thought I would include some photos - I have not taken these, I have borrowed them from others. :0)

This shows the Haulashore Island and the edge of Rocks Road - this section has a bad camber but you dont mind slowing down along here and looking into the rock pools or just watching the sea.



This is a view along Rocks Road showing a popular Cafe called the "boathouse" the houses here are mostly historical and are protected. This is one of the most expensive areas of nelson...even though the houses are old the view is worth every penny.



This is our famous "Fifeshire Rock" It used to have a small tree on top but a drunk youth on a dare rowed out one night and cut it down....it caused such an outrage!!

3 comments:

Anthony said...

You do realise you put "Easy" and "10km" in the same sentence? Hmm.. right.

Beautiful area. I'd like to go for a walk there one day.

Anthony

Tammy said...

a few comments:
1. It is SO beautiful there!!! You are so lucky!!!
2. Hot in the winter?!? Again, you are so lucky!
3. Easy 10K in 1:02! Um, WOW! That is certainly NOT easy in my book, you speedy lady :). Good job :).

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

It's not bad training at 10 am. When I trained for the 10 k quarter marathon, my girl friend and I started a 6am because it was so hot and humid in Singapore.

Keep up with your good work.

How's mum?

May be you cook the curry, and she can try it.