Monday, June 08, 2009

Sportsperson of the Year 2009

Well, its finally Friday night.....The night of the Sportsperson of the Year awards. I have to admit to feeling nervous. Up until now I had not even given thought that I could possibly win this, but with all my Friends showing so much confidence in my achievements that I did sit and think...well maybe I could. I knew I would really like to win it, but I was not really going to say that out loud.

When we arrived, everyone was mingling in the foyer and drinking bubbly...so not to feel out of place...bubbly was drunk!!

Soon after our arrival all the finalists were asked to move into the hall and check where their tables were, then we were taken back stage where we stayed until they announced our names and what categories we were in. I didn't know until that moment that we were all to be awarded with a special plaque for making it as a finalist. So I was really chuffed....but also realised that I had our camera in my handbag and had no way of getting it to Shane.

So we all lined up out the back in our wee groups and got to chat for about half an hour while we waited for it all to start. It was nice to mix with the others and get to meet the other two finalists in the Masters Category. To make my night, I was the last one out of our group. The first two being guys and having a name of Nyle.......the compare called me a HE......until I came on stage and then he did a double take and apologised. The funny thing was that it was Butch Bradly and I worked with him for a year at the Radio station..but in his defense he didn't know me as Nyle back then.

So I made my way to our table and joined Shane. Our meal was lovely and I slowly helped to polish off the last of the red and white wine. When they announced the masters section it was won by the Triathlete who had competed at the worlds. So it was well deserved. The overall Sports Person of the Year...was won by the Mako's player that was named an All Black. So it was well won all round.

We had a fabulous night, the only down fall of it all was that the mixing of some red, white and bubbly brought on my migraine and I have been down for the last 3 days hiding in a dark room unable to train or function.

But I am determined to do well at the World Masters and in all my next events and hope to have another shot at it next year.

1 comment:

Glennis said...

They chose the wrong one!
I am not all biased!