Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Keeping the motivation going....

Oh Gosh...what a week its been. My training has been full on and I am struggling to keep up the pace set out. In saying that, I am hitting the target times but I am at full race pace to do so.

Today's walk was the hardest and I lost faith in myself. I forgot that last night I achieved a personal best for 5km and tonight my muscles were just exhausted. My lungs felt much better tonight but I just couldn't push my body any faster than I had done.

My first track session didn't go as planned. My first kilometre was far too fast and that just makes the rest hurt really badly. I was meant to do 6 x 1km reps but only managed to do 3.5 kms before pulling up with cramp in my hamstring. Being that it was Saturday morning at 9am with a -2deg frost, my body just couldn't get warm.

So here is how my week has gone so far.

Weds 8th - 5km in 29 min 56 sec - avg pace 5.59min/km (coach's target 6min pace/km)

Saturday 11th - Track - 6 x 1km reps (coach's target was 5.44min/km)
lap one = 5.38
Lap two = 5.48
Lap three = 5.45

Sunday 12th - 10km in 61.20 (coach's target 6 min/km ) course I did had slight up hill gradient

Tues 14th - 5km in 29.38 avg pace 5.55min/km (coach's target 5.58min/km)

Weds 15th - 8km in 48.40 avg pace 6.05min/km (coach's target 5.58min/km)

So for most of my training I have been under coach's target times...except tonight...so I shouldnt be beating myself up too much. I am almost too afraid to ask what my times will be in 5 weeks when the next program is written up for me.

2 comments:

Glennis said...

Stop beating yourself up, your not a machine, some days things go better than others, you can't win them all, just always do your best and have no regret.
I personally think you've done really well.

Rob E said...

A good first week back! Considering a lot of it is at your race pace you have to expect to have the odd "bad day".
Just keep the next big race in mind, it will be worth the effort!