Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Training...rain, hail or shine!!!

Well its been an interesting week! What with stack training at the track on Saturday going to plan. Had to stick to a pace so each 400m lap had to be 2.08 so off we went me and my rabbit (aka Pete) how we do stacks is we race 400m then stroll (or in my case-drag) for 200m then we do 800m etc... so it looks like this 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400, 800, 400 and usually at the end I wonder off to find my lungs and legs. But this time we were flying. My fittness has come up and we hit target time for each lap!! my coach was ever so proud.

Then that afternoon the club had a cross country run on - Tasman Centre Champs and I was allowed to run in it. So hubby and I went off to this event in the afternoon. I changed from vet Women to Open Women so I could run with hubby but it was 8km and a tough course....But I got 2nd Open women...how?? I dont have a clue! but anyhow there it is. BUT.....when I woke on sunday my legs were so so so sore!!!! I felt exhausted too but I had a 11km walk at 5.58min/km to complete to day. Yeah Right!! But heart in the right place, I set out later in the day when it was warmer, but my body just wouldnt get it together and with a strong side wind and with the cold rain it was not going to plan. I pulled out at 10km with a time of 1 hour 4 min. Thats an ok time but no where near target time.

So I decided to rest for the next two day.....the heavy rain helped with that call :0)

So tonight (weds) I met up with Pete (my rabbit) and also hubby for a fast 5km as per my training program. We pushed hard and both made comment at the half way mark of whoa, way to fast...but needless to say...we pressed on and completed our 5km in 29.36 a best for me! so if I can do that on a walk way with rises and bumps and road crossings......I have to be able of doing 28.?? on the track.

80 days to go....so we shall see

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to read that you feel a bit more positive than last week! Keep it up.
Rob

Tammy said...

Good job on your tough ladder (stack I guess you call it) workout. That is a hard target time, esp the 6:24 for the 1200; doubt I could do that one. Sounds like your training is going well and I definitely think you will be at 28:xx for the 5K assuming you have a decent day for the race.

malvs2walk said...

I am responding here to your comment on my blog... I have the same goal as you, to become a Centurion. You are certainly much faster than I am. What is the farthest you have racewalked to date? You also do trail running?
Anyway, I will be interested to hear how your 5,000 meter race turns out.