Monday, September 07, 2009

Oh NO!!!!! Groin Strain?

Ok.....Had a fantastic day Saturday. Went home on such a high from the race and my time and just the whole perfect day.

Woke up Sunday feeling a little stiff and sore but nothing too major. I knew I had a 12 km walk today but knew that I would not be at coach's pace.

Hubby and I went out at 2pm. Another magic day! We decided to go around the waterfront by the port and then follow the river (which meant uphill for the last 2 km to home) off we went. My legs felt like lead and I couldn't get any speed out of them so I settled in to an average pace of 6.20/km. I really wanted to get the distance out today. By the time we hit the 12km mark I was done. No energy and feeling very stiff and sore.

Today (Monday) I had an 8 km walk and was expected to do 5.50km pace. I was more stiff and sore than Sunday. Hubby said he would come too and we headed out at 5pm. It was a little cold so we took it easy for the first km to warm up. We turned to walk down Beaston road (a steep wee road approx 800mts in length) about half way down I felt something pull in top of my leg/groin. I mentioned it but kept going. Thinking that once we leveled out it would be fine. But after another two kms it didn't get better, didn't get worse but I just knew that if I pushed it then it would really hurt. So I stopped and we just strolled home.

Rang my coach and he thinks I have a groin strain. No race walking for me till I have been to physio. So here I sit with an Ice Pack on my groin (not pleasant!) and lots of arnica cream ..........plus feeling a little sorry for myself. I think I just pushed the old body a little too much this weekend and it told me so.

Will keep you all posted. I am sure it will be fine with a little rest.

UPDATE:

I have tweaked my tendons in my hip. Two days rest....with ice and gentle stretches should see it come right. I have opted not to race this weekend but rather do a gentle walk instead. Physio said it was a good thing that I listen to my body as most athletes tend to push through it and end up with a worse injury.

So I am greatly relieved and will take their advise and rest. Thanks for everyone's well wishes and support.

4 comments:

malvs2walk said...

Please take care and I will be watching for your follow up report.

Not pleasant to ice the groin or the glutes... I once told my Dr, icing the glute muscles lends new meaning to the phrase "freezing your @$$ off".

Glennis said...

Do take care, let the muscles recover a little. You have done a lot of work with them and plan to do more.

Nyle said...

I know that feeling well....but ice on the groin...."shudder".....made my whole leg go numb!! haha

Am taking the physio advise and rest. No racing this weekend and for a change I am happy to bow out...this is a wake up call...too close to the games for an injury.

Tammy said...

Glad you stopped before it got worse - a few days' rest to heal sounds like a good deal to me.