Sunday, September 13, 2009

Spoke too soon...back to physio

Well I was all excited about getting back out on the roads again...Friday ended up with awful weather and was very cold so I opted to sit it out and wait for Saturday. For some silly reason I still had it in my head that I would and could race the 10km but a phone call to my coach ended that very quickly. (In hindsight...a good idea) He suggested a rec walk for 2 km to warm up...a good 10min stretch and then a slow gentle 4 km race walk.

So hubby and I headed up on the the walkway behind our home and started out. The rec walk was ok...didn't feel anything...so I was feeling confident and optimistic that the race walk would be easy. Stopped and did our stretches and then headed off back down the track. I only lasted 500m when I could feel the muscles pulling again...I walked through it for another 500m but it didn't let up. It didn't hurt as such but I could feel it the whole way. (feels like when you are doing a stretch and you are at the top end of the stretch..muscle is sore but not 'ouch' sore) So we walked slowly back home and rang my coach. I am back to the ice and stretches and will ring physio on Monday.

I did try to walk a little around the house and its right when the foot comes under you and takes the weight of your body...that's when it pulls. Not sure what can be done or how long it will take to heal.....but its soooo frustrating. I only have 28 days before the World Games......talk about cutting it fine.

I did manage to get out on the mountain bike and do an hours ride. Not quite the same but it keeps the hip moving and gave me a short workout.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

awww, bummer :( am keeping my fingers crossed that they can whip you back into shape in time for your big race! My sympathies are w/you... totally sucks to be hurt :( so hang in there.

Rob Elliott said...

Good luck with getting on the road again, you have some good sessions behind you pre injury, so not all doom and gloom!

malvs2walk said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! It really sucks to be out of comission with a big race on the horizon. Sometimes I just take these small nudges as if my body is telling me to remember to take my rest days.
Take care!