Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pan Pac 10km Masters

 This was the race that I really wanted to do well at.  I just hoped that my body would allow it.

Last night we went out for a couple of hours to the Opening Ceremony and it was a great band.  It was a shame to leave but as I had to be up so early and I still had some preparation to do we decided to leave at 9.30pm.  My sleep was short lived though and I ended up with a restless night.

We got to the course with plenty of time to warm up and look over the course.  It was  T course with the loop being 1km.  The turns were very tight as they couldn't close the road so we could only use one half of the road.  As I walked the course with sue we both commented on the camber of the road and the rise at one end.  You might have an advantage on the down but the tight turn was directly at the bottom and so it slowed you just as yu needed to find the push for the rise.  It was not going to be a fast course that was for sure.

We all lined up and after a brief chat we are off.  Michael from USA was off like a rabbit so I just let him go figuring I would catch him up later in the race.  At about 3km I did catch and pass him but I had 2 other guys hot on my heels and at 5 km they passed me but I didn't let them get too far ahead.  At 7km I picked them off again and set about putting some distance between us.  But very quickly my stomach let me know that I was not going to be pushing any harder than I was.  I slowed ... I slowed ALOT...my heart rate starts to climb on the Garmin and I am feeling distressed.  I take on more water and my carbo shots.  I can see Michael creeping back up on me and there is nothing I can do to hold him off.  By 9km my tummy settled and the carbo water started to work and I found a tiny push of speed but as i rounded the turn for home Michael had caught me and we sprinted for the finish line with him just pipping me.

I was a little down as I didnt get the record but I have to be logical and see that I have done minimal training and have been unwell.  So a 1:01:10 was not that bad.  The max heart rate of 207 is more of a worr

I was first female and first in my age group.  I was really surprised that they presented medals for the first 3 across the line so I was given two golds for this race.  What a bonus.






Pan Pac 10km Masters

No comments: