Friday, October 30, 2009

A hard decision to make....but....

Tomorrow is the Waimea Half Marathon. Its held at Rabbit Island on a 5km loop course. I have to admit its one of the most boring course's known around here. Every year I have managed to team up with a group or one other and just entered the teams section.

This year I decided that I would bite the bullet and do the Half. I was thinking ... I will be fit and still race ready from the Worlds in Sydney, even though I had only trained up to 10km and have not walked 21.5km in about 6 months. I was feeling strong and confident.

My training partner asked me this week to team up as well. That's the good thing about this race, you can compete in two events - team and half. The person doing the half starts first and tags you at the 10km mark...then you both head out. The person doing the half then pulls off the team number and carries on for the individual portion.

Well since I have been back from Sydney, I have been plagued with a horrid head cold or maybe a sinus infection. Everyone tells me its probably the flying that has set it off as I feel like I need to equalize my ears....they are blocked and keep popping all the time and I have no balance. I have been fatigued and constant blowing of my nose has driven me nuts. I had to rush around town two days ago and nearly fainted from the effort.

So I have made the decision to pull out of the half. I will still do the 10km for the team but I know that I am not well enough to push my body that far.

Then it is rest up and let my body take a break.

1 comment:

malvs2walk said...

Glad you made the right decision for your body and your health. No sense in pushing yourself to an injury when you are under the weather. Have fun doing the team event!