Saturday, October 31, 2009

Waimea Half Maraton

The day dawned with absolutely perfect conditions. Slightly overcast and not a breath of wind....I am sure it was to spite me.

With the decision made to pull from the Half Marathon I was able to focus on how I would race the 10km. I woke to a fully blocked nose and my face felt like I had been hit between the eyes!! I was not even sure if I could complete the 10km but I didn't want to let my team mate down (I did have a back up plan - my coach had put his hand up if I pulled out at the last minute) My husband was also in a team but for running. So we headed off to Rabbit Island to find both our team partners and to put on race numbers. I went over and scratched from the Half - I don't know who was more surprised..the organizers or the competitors?

Last year I teamed up with my training partner Yvonne and we dressed up in bright neon outfits and had a ball. This year she had teamed up with her friend (and top Nelson walker) Wendy. I nearly doubled over laughing when I saw their costumes. They had a multi coloured Mo Hawk wig on and the most ridiculous looking pants I have ever seen... (they had plastic moulded bare bottoms that were part of the pants).....all I could think to say was "check it out...two moons!!!!!" They looked fantastic and did win the best dressed and deserving so too.

I was to walk the first two legs and Pete the second two. I was also double booked for the day as it was my grand daughters 2nd birthday, so I was to leave as soon as I had finished my legs.

The race got underway and it was a good tussle for the first 500m with Wendy rocketing out in front. I had decided to stick to 5:50 pace and so slowly caught her up and passed. I came through the first 5km at 29:47 and was to finish my 10.4km in 1:01:47 much faster than I had anticipated. The last two km were my worst with my ears popping and hurting along with my sinuses too.

I tagged my team mate and then waited for my husband to come in (runners started 20mins after walkers) He finished his 10.4km in 56mins which is awesome for him. My team mate (pete) completed his two legs 10.8km in 1:05:?? giving us a combined time of 2:07:30 winning us the team section - (I am fondly called Trumpeter and he is SOF - sly old fox)

Walking Teams
1 221 02:07:30 Trumpeter and SOF
2 213 02:12:48 Mad Dogs
3 220 02:33:43 The Nanas


Me out on the beach end of the course.


Pete aka SOF winding his way through the picnic area


This is Wendy in costume and Gary about to catch and pass by

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Hey, great job, especially when sick! Loved your report and the costumes & the photos :). Thanks for sharing w/us!!!

Andrew Shelley said...

Trumpeter? There must be a story behind a name like that!!

A fantastic time too... that's a sub-60 minute 10k. That means I can't beat you even when you're sick and I'm fighting fit!

Glennis said...

Well done specially with that nasty head cold. Now be sure and let your body rest and repair itself!
Whats this trumpeter name?

Nyle said...

We all got landed with nicknames ... yvonne got called bubbles, Pete got SOF (sly old fox or silly old fart), Stephen got coach and I got trumpeter.......I got mine cause one of the race walkers got her nose out of joint due to me getting in the paper and she not...and she accused me of blowing my own trumpet...when I told the others they thought it was so funny (as it was them that had gone to the papers not me) so after that i got called trumpeter.

malvs2walk said...

love the nickname! Good for you getting out there to walk with your team mate even though you were under the weather! and winning??? Wow!