Thursday, October 08, 2009

Packing....Nerves.....Race jitters

I think I have packed and unpacked my suitcase 10 times!!!!

Have I brought enough warm clothes....hmmmmm......but what if its hot??? So its back to the basic......jeans, tee shirts and runners!!! cant go wrong I guess.

I went out on Weds night and raced in the first 5km Race for the Waimea Club. It was the Hart Road Course.....(rather hilly)...so I was not planning on pushing too hard. I wanted to test out my hips and check for any niggly pains. Yvonne had come out to jog and was keen to jog along with me and I was thrilled for the company and the push. The first 1.5 km is basically up Queen Street and then the undulating Hill Street. So I had thought to sit around the 6km mark or slower. I could hear another walker behind us at the 2km mark and I commented to Yvonne that I wish he would hurry up and pass as I was just wanting to cruise. By the 4km mark both walkers had gained and one started to pass. All of us commented that his "style" was unusual and I thought....there is no way a jogger is getting me on this one. Yvonne pushed on a head and I gave chase. What a chase it was, with me just pipping him on the finish line. I stopped my watch and expected my time to be 31+ mins....I was really shocked to see I had done it in 29:17

I really needed the confidence boost and to know my body would hold together.

So now the pressure and the nerves start to build. I so want to bring home a medal or two!!! I feel I owe my coach, my husband and my self that satisfaction as we have all put in hard work, hours and kms to get me to this point.

I will try hard to get on line and up date my blog and face-book with results.

Thanks so much for all the support and well wishes I have had .... It has truly helped me keep focus and motivation. Cheers to you all.

2 comments:

Rob Elliott said...

Good luck in races away. Enjoy them. Rob E

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

My very best wishes to you Nyle. Your confidence shows that you will bring back a medal or two for sure.

Thoseghar Waterfall