Sunday, May 06, 2012

Shoe Clinic Nelson Quarter Marathon

It is a picture perfect day!  NO wind, NO clouds....just SUN SUN SUN.  It was a cool morning about 8 degs but got up to 11deg by the start of the race.  I had decided I would keep my long sleeve skins top on as I just don't like cool or cold!!

After meeting up with the Warrior Princess's (Andrea, Raylene, Sharon and Maree)  we all set out and warmed up...going through our drills and nervously chatting.  Start time came around pretty quickly and we headed off to the start line.  It was a new course this year.....using 80% of the old course but this time we finish at the track.


Ready, set ..... GO baby GO!!!


and we are off......I quickly settled in to my pace and was happy enough ticking along.  I knew Ross wouldn't be too far behind me but as long as he was behind and not beside me at this stage...it was all good.  As I rounded the path around the park (about 500m) I was shocked to see one of the walkers ahead of me RUNNING!  Now I am not normally vocal about these things but I just saw red and as we went across a little over pass - she was below me - I leaned over and pointed at her and yelled "YOU are running!" and then went into hot pursuit.  It took me a further 400m to catch her where she had stopped blatantly running but she was still creeping flat out!  As I passed her I said.....really sorry but you were running, you are better now......at which she retorted and stated she was NOT running and after this I didnt see her again until she jogged/walked into the finish.

I pushed along the Monaco Walkway....my training ground!  but this part of the track is lumpy and hard to get a settled pace on it.  I was very surprised when I rounded a corner to see two male racewalkers going head to head in front of me and I quickly realised who they were and that they were on their 2nd lap for the Half Marathon.  I passed them and heard them pick up and chase after me.

5km and we turn up on to the railway reserve.  Now it might only be a 12m rise over 2km but OUCH...you so feel it.  My pace slows along here and I can feel it and see it on my watch.  But my fitness is letting me down and I know its too soon to pick up yet.  At 8km I decide that now is the time to try and pick up a little. My right hip flexor had been hurting for the last couple of km but I push past that.  As we come in under the under pass and up on to the walk way around the park...I feel as if I have mud on my feet.  I slow down so much for the next 500m and I know it has cost me but I just have nothing left.

I hit the 10km mark in 58.02 not bad for someone who has only been doing 5km walks lol  ... now just 550m to go....hmmm definitely not going to make the sub hour.


So I blast onto the track and muster up my last ounce of energy and slam it to the finish line.

Winner of the Quarter Marathon Walk in 1:01:18





Shoe Clinic Nelson Quarter Marathon

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Yes, those who run in walking events irritate the *(&^ out of me. As far as the event: I am impressed that you get so many walkers at these.