Sunday, May 18, 2014

10km that become a 5km Club Race

Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it.

Its been a crazy week.  With me having a Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy on Thursday - I have not trained for days.  Friday and Saturday saw me with deep sharp pains in my bowel which I think was remnant pain from the procedure.  Add to that the pain in my Hip/Glute Med/Lower back - I was not in good shape at all.  In truth - I should have stayed home.

But nope, instead I am lining up with the others thinking about how my coach wants me to try for 58 mins.  I knew that there was little chance of that happening with how my hip was feeling...but I was prepared to try.  Canberra is only 3 weeks away and I am really freaking out about it.  I should never have brought the tickets and agreed to go.  But its done now.

So we all started out together - there was a 1km race, 2km, 3km, 5km and 10km happening at the same time.  I just couldnt power up right from the start.  I had zero hip movement and the harder I tried to get some movement in my hips (forward and backward motion)  the more it hurt and become tighter.  Dave was being really helpful and calling out tips to help me (he was later to explain to me how short my stride really was)  I tried really hard to lenghten my stride but I just cant get my hips to move.  Plus with the wider foot placement I just cant get my hips round.

At 4km I KNEW I was done and that if I try to push through I would be a cripple for the next two days.  So I called out and said I was finishing.  I had caught and passed Shane and now had my sights on Micky's back.  She was about 20 m ahead of me and I was really going to try to catch her and I nearly did.  Crossing the line in 29:04 - but sadly I am a DNF in the official results as I had entered the 10km not the 5km.

It was great to have a chat to Dave about technique and training styles - I appreciate his wisdom and I will be making some changes.  This is the 5th time I have been out with the same injury and each time I take a break I manage to heal up but as soon as I start to load up in training it goes again.  I am over it and really need to stop over thinking and over analyzing things.

I am very nervous about the up coming 16km walk in Canberra....VERY ... I guess I just need to be kind to myself and not beat myself up if things dont go to plan.
5km data

No comments: