Tuesday, July 10, 2012

10km Queensland Road Champs

I decided to enter the Queensland Open 10km Road Champs.  Even though I had not been out training I still figured I an walk 10km and at worst would look at it as a training walk.

Kay picked me up at 5am and we headed off towards Brisbane.  I was so glad she offered to give me a lift as I had NO IDEA of where to go.  We stopped off at Movie world to pick up Kay's brother Paul and then we were off.  It was good to catch up with the walkers again and to met some new faces.

The course was interesting.....it was up and down both sides of a wee hill.  I said to Kay that on the last couple of laps it was going to feel like a mountain.....and it did.  We all lined up for the start and then we were off.  I let the young ones take off like jack rabbits and happily settled in behind them.  By the 3rd lap one girl in front of me had pulled out - she had hurt her back.  I had no idea what position I was in the race and it was not my intention to win anything as I knew it was an open club walk and the guns would be out.

By about 8km my butt was really starting to hurt.  Not hurt as in injured ... hurt as in...muscle being used.  I tried to pick up the pace a little as I could see that I was going to be under 59mins.   Coming up the rise for the last time I dug in and tried to push up the wee rise and then sprint for the finish line.

58:58  ...  wow that was cutting it fine but I got under 59mins ... just!!!!

And the surprise of the day.  I got second!






10km Queensland Road Champs

No comments: