Sunday, November 28, 2010

15 km out and back

Todays training was 15km and to add in two bursts of race pace for 2km........ it was a great plan that sadly didnt come to fruition. I woke up this morning feeling totally shattered. I decided to have some breakfast before I walked so that I would have some fuel to burn. So I waited for two hours after eating it. I also noticed that it was getting very warm very fast. It was already 20degs and it was only 9am. I had a hunt around the house to see if I could find the waist camel pack but I couldnt find it so headed it out without it. (Big mistake!!!)

I headed out from home and decided to walk down to the atawhai walkway, I was struggling to push my self any faster than 6.20pace and thought that once I get on to the walkway I would come right. I didnt, and was having trouble finding any energy to push with. I was not breathing hard, I just felt heavy and out of steam. I got to the turn around (when my watch said 7.5 km ) and headed back. By now I was really feeling the need for water, so badly that I almost stopped a cyclist and asked him if he had any water. It was during this walk that I realised - here in Nelson we have this amazing network of walkways and cycle ways for people to walk/jog/run/cycle but that there are NO Water fountains anywhere!!!! I knew there was a fountain by the library so I headed to that. It was pretty much the 12km mark that I stopped and sprayed my self with water and had some good long drinks. The last three km were back up to home and I knew they would be hard. It was getting hotter and hotter and I was feeling weaker and weaker. I set off with just the aim of getting home. All in all, my body held out, I wore my race shoes and my toes didnt hurt in them. It was a very slow 15km - 1:38:18 for an avg pace of 6.33 and heart rate of 143.

15 km Data

No comments: