Monday, May 06, 2013

3 days rest and a diagnosis

I made an emergency appointment with the Chiropractor on Friday.  I was in way too much pain in my hip for it to be just referred pain.  My coach kept saying it was my back out and referring the pain but I felt like it was more than that. 

Well would appear that both my coach and I are correct. 

hip

Yes my back was out and my SI Joint locked tight again....but I also have the starting of Trochanteric Bursitis with a mix of Prioformus syndrome.  

What is Trochanteric Bursitis?  
On the outside of the hip joint there are a number of bursae (small fluid-filled sacs)Their function is to provide cushioning in the spaces between the muscles, tendons and bones and to allow tendons to glide over bony prominences without friction when they move.

WHAT CAUSES IT?  Repetitive strain and mechanical trauma (more common), such as with abnormal patterns of walking / standing, poor pelvic stability (weak buttock muscles) or tight iliotibial band (outer thigh structures).   Of which I have all of the above...I have had ITB problems for over a year and weak butt.....so I guess it was bound to happen.


TREATMENT?
Rest and ice.   Anti inflammatory tablets to help keep inflammation down and stretching my ITB out.  Plus work on a strength exercise for the butt and hip.

 But it is something I need to be very aware of and not amp up my distances too quickly.

It is now day 3 of rest and Jim has given me one more day to be sure.  It has taken 2 days to settle and today it feels like a bruise and I can move my right leg now with out pain.  Which is great.  Tomorrow I will try a small 4km walk and see how it goes.  I have to be very careful as full on bursa pain can take months to heal...............and I am very lucky I caught it in the early stages.

No comments: