Sunday, December 19, 2010

112km out and back - atawhai walkway

I woke today to the sound of torrential rain. "Well thats track done for" was my first thought. I had arranged to met up at the track and go over drills and help out anyone who wants help with walking. Not much fun for them in the pouring rain. I knew I still had 12km to walk but opted to wait out the day and see if the weather improved a little.

So I spent the day sewing Barbie Doll Clothes - giving them to my Granddaughter for Xmas.

At 2.30pm Stephen called and asked if I was still heading out. The answer.....of course I was.....so we decided to met up at his place and head out along the walkway for 6km and turn back. It would be his longest walk since his accident but we were both fairly confident he would be fine. He had handled the 10km the other day and also had walked another the day before and felt fine. It was still pouring but it wasnt cold. I took my jacket this time though but wished I hadnt after the first couple of kms as it rubbed me under one arm. I did manage to adjust it and ignore it for the rest of the way.

The walk way was just one big puddle, with both of us splashing each other to the front and side.....so lots of giggling and we picked our way through puddle to puddle. Then we struck clay mudslides across the walk way and they were super slippery to walk over. Even though we were soaked it was not to bad, there was no wind and it wasnt cold. When we turned at the 6km mark, we noticed that there was a small patch of blue sky and that the rain was slowly easing up. By the 9km mark it had stopped raining and was starting to get a tad hot with a jacket on. We had one small stop on the way back as Stephen's hamstring tweaked a bit, but after a good stretch we were away again.

I really enjoyed today, time was not an issue and we rambled along chatting and laughing. So for 12km we did 1:20 - avg pace 6:40

12km out and back - atawhai walkway

No comments: