Friday, December 10, 2010

Track Training 8 x 200m Speed work

Tonight was my first speed session.  I was excited about this as I usually love speed work.   Plus I figured 8 x 200 was easy peasy and I would so ace it.  .............. hmmm famous last words!!!   I was quickly to be humbled by the track and my body!!

I went out and did 1km warm up....took it easy and just concentrated on form.  So 6:17 for the 1km was fine.

I changed the settings for my watch (not really sure how to use my watch for these nights so I have not linked to the data but have written it down instead.  I can remember doing pace work and being nice and fast, I remember it felt easy to do 1:10 per 200m......so I had figured I would totally own this tonight.  I started out on my first 200m, I felt great.  My form felt great, my legs felt strong and knees were locking.......then 100m passed and my legs started to feel "funny" tingly like I had no real control over them.  I kept pushing hard and hit the stop as I passed over the 200m - 55sec.............hmmmm is that it???? Is that really the fastest I can go??????? I was breathing hard but nothing too major and was ready to go again by the time I walked back to the start.

I repeated it again, this time was better but still 55sec...... so the 3rd time I really put my all into it.  I picked up and started to glide and it felt so easy...so smooth...but I lost my confidence and felt like I was running and quickly lost it but did do 54sec.....

But with each lap my legs were starting to go really weird.  I was starting to doubt that I was actually locking and it felt like my feet were flicking before landing.  ( I am told now that it was my nervous system going haywire trying to control too many muscles at once when its not used to it)

I did a 400m lap to cool down but I was really feeling discouraged.  Lucky my coach was there for me when I got home and picked me up.  Explaining that fast twitch muscles have to be taught how to be used and it was my first session.  Baby steps and it will come.

So we shall see...... but here are my splits:-
1km warm up - 6:17
Lap 1 - .55
Lap 2 - .55
Lap 3 - .54
Lap 4 - .55
Lap 5 - .57
Lap 6 - .56
Lap 7 - .54
Lap 8 - .59

400m cool down 2:26

or link to the first lap and then click next to see the others

Lap 1 track training 200m - Details

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Those are really fast, I think! When I've done 200s they've been like :59-1:02 so yours are good. You should be pleased!

Nyle said...

Thanks for the encouragement Tammy....I honestly felt that I should have been faster and thought I had been faster ... but after posting the blog I went back through my old data and I was doing 1.03 flat out....so yeah...I am really pleased...just got to get used to the new style..lol

Unknown said...

I agree with Tammy! Those are great times. I did 12 x 200 this past Tuesday. My best time was 57s. It is a weird feeling going that fast. That's why I love the short stuff! Its the only time I ever feel something even close to what elite racewalkers feel!