Tuesday, December 28, 2010

3 x 2km track work out

Well Christmas has come and gone and life now gets back to normal again.

As per normal I ate and drunk way too much and paid for it the next day. Being lactose intollerant you would think by now I would know what I can and cant eat. But I cant resist pavlova and cream. Yes ... the cream hit me with vengeance!!! I was unable to complete my 15km yesterday and only just made it to the 5km mark. I knew I had a very tough workout today and was concerned that I would not be able to cope.

With the massive storm that has hit NZ with Nelson/Tasman/Marlborough being hit the hardest - with heavy rain and huge winds. I knew it was going to be a hard walk. I went to the track at 4pm and it was raining when I got there, but by the time I had warmed up the rain lifted, sun came out and the wind stopped. GREAT!!!! I set out and got the first 2km done. Phew that was tough....I walked slowly around to the 200m mark and got ready to go again. This 2km was really hard...I felt awful. My legs felt weak, I wanted to throw up....I just didnt have anything in the tank to push with. I knew my time had dropped and it had started to rain again by the 1km mark. I walked back around to the next 200m mark and was telling myself....last one...its easy, its only 5 times round. Who am I kidding!!! when you feel sick, its raining and then the wind picks up - those 5 laps may as well be 50!!!!! So I hit my lap button and battled into the head wind and turned to have it behind me along the back straight. I didnt notice much benefit with it behind me and I was feeling very tired. I tried hard not to focus on the time and just push into the wind and keep my style together. Mentally I think you give up the moment you start to doubt yourself and its very hard to push through and pick your pace up again. (Something I need to work on) But the good news is that each 2km rep was under 6min/km pace.

so here are my 2km splits (I looked at my watch at the 1km so I would remember the 1km time)

1st lap - 1km 5:33 2km 5:38 for a total of 11:11
2nd lap - 1km 5:45 2km 5:49 for a total of 11:34
3rd lap - 1km 5:55 2km 5:53 for a total of 11:48

I was a little disappointed with my times but......as hubby pointed out to me....these are not that far off my personal best for 3km & 5km and that I had been doing speed work for 2 months leading up to those, so to be doing these times with little speed work and after being ill is actually a good thing.

here is my actual data from the walk
3 x 2km track work out

No comments: