Wednesday, December 29, 2010

5km series - Kaitea Drive

Tonight's course was the fast flat Kaitea Drive. I hadn't intended on going to fast tonight as my legs were pretty tired after the 2km reps and I still have some long walks to go this week. But when we started out I felt great and felt that I had picked a nice easy pace. Every thing was going so perfect till about the 2.8km mark, as I stepped down over the curb I felt my calf twinge and I thought oh oh....It had been tight all day after the 2km reps but I thought it would be ok once it warmed up. I slowed down for the next km and it felt better but each time I tried to power on it would tweak again. So I opted to ease up again, I was guttered as I was looking at a really good 5km time too.

As I passed over the 4km mark, Pete my old training partner caught me and said "come on Nana, lets go" and so I thought I could just sit behind him and tick out the last km but as I pushed up behind him, he picked up the pace. He did ask me often how my calf was and I was surprised to realize that I had not felt it while I had him as a distraction. So Pete saved my last km.

I crossed the line in 29:04 - Even though my GPS says it was 4.90....it is a measured 5km course and many of the other GPS measured in at 5:02 or 5:04 only two of us got under 5km, so we think it was going under the trees at the underpass.

So here is my data for the 5km race.

5km series - Kaitea Drive

No comments: