Sunday, March 13, 2011

20km out and back monaco

Last night I decided to wear a pedometer to work as I was curious to see how far I actually walked with going back and forth from kitchen to tables etc. I walked 5.1km last night and it was a relativly quiet night too. So now I dont feel quite so bad for not training yesterday.........the event I wanted to walk in was canceled as no one showed up.

So I got a better sleep last night. Was woken up at 8am by Benni (our new kitten) who decided that it was play time and any thing that moved on the bed was a target. So I got up and thought.....now that I am up I may aswell head out and do the 20km. I had a big drink of water and one of my energy jells. I was not planning on doing any particular time....I honestly just wanted to get the 20km done.

I picked the walk out along the reserve and taking in the leg of Monaco - trying to find a nice 20km course that is easy underfoot. I started out and set into a nice pace....was not to hard and I felt good. I picked my way down beatsons road and headed out along the walkway. I passed so many runners from the club and also cyclists...it was a nice busy morning. The weather was perfect. No wind, no cloud and a nice warm 23deg....I reached my turn point and stopped for a moment to take a drink. (I had found a little bottle that will fit in my back pocket...its just tricky getting it out and in again) I felt better after a drink and headed back to retrace my steps....at the 13km I pass the big water tower and decide to stop and have a splash in it. So I put my head under the tap and got really good and wet.....that felt great!!!! and then I headed back off to finish up the monaco loop. I was starting to feel a little tired by now but I was still not pushing hard ... just in a good rhythm and ticking along nicely until the 17km mark.......when I let myself focus on the next 2km up hill and nearly gave up then and there....................sighs....................so it was grit teeth and dig it in ... up over the walk way and then along and up Beatson Road. I looked at my watch to check how I was with my time and was really shocked to see I was well up on time and if I had dug it in sooner......bummer!! ... so I decided to push hard for the last km and was so rapt to finish my 20km walk in 2:03:36

Hoping my coach will be pleased with that!!!!! :)


20km out and back monaco

No comments: