Friday, April 15, 2011

12km kickdown - atawhai

I woke up this morning at 5:30am and made hubby breakfast before he went off to work for the day. It was pouring with rain so I figured I would head back to bed and get some extra sleep. 9am I was woken with knocking at the door and it was a lovely surprise to see my daughter standing there. She had popped in for a quick visit. It was still pouring out side....ugh....this is not looking good.

I had a very quick chat to my coach.....thought briefly about doing the walk on the treadmill and pretty much canned that idea as so as I voiced it. Plus reading my friend Tammy's blog and seeing she did most of her walk and it was snowing......a bit of rain was not really going to hurt me that much. So I sucked it up and got changed.

I drove down to Atawhai and sat in the car looking out at the rain. It was pouring hard and was starting to get cold. I put my jacket on and set out.

Today was to be a kick down. So my aim was for 4 kicks and I was aiming for these paces:- 6:05, 6:00, 5:55 & 5:50......but this didn't quite work out today. I felt great when I started out but by 4km I was wet and cold and struggling to get some speed going. I turned at 6km and headed back. The rain was starting to ease and I was starting to warm up a little too much. I was pleased to see the last 2 kicks were pretty much the time that I had wanted.

Total time for the 12km is 1:11:10 for an avg pace of 5:55 and avg heart rate of 145

12km kickdown - atawhai

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Wow, very nice kickdown.

OK, seriously...I'd actually rather walk in snow than in pouring rain. You don't get as wet, and therefore not as cold. I am amazed that you did so well out there in that nasty weather!!! Glad I inspired you a bit, but really, it wasn't so bad walking in a bit of snow!