Thursday, April 21, 2011

16km stuck in first gear!

Since my track workout on Tuesday I have been struck down with a runny nose. A really runny nose!!!!! I tried to waitress tuesday night but spent more time out the back setting meals up rather than taking them out as I just couldn't go a minute with out blowing my nose. I get this often after hard exercise and I had assumed this is what I had. I have NO other symtoms that could point it to being a virus or a cold. Day 3 of this and my nose is just red raw and it is finally starting to ease up. But I feel physically drained today. I spent all morning fighting off sleep. I just felt so fatigued. I had 16km to do today and I was happy enough to head out and do that. I had planned to keep my heart rate at 140 and just tick along. I have a race tomorrow that I am really hoping to do a very good time so also didnt want to wipe myself out too much in this walk.

I headed up on to the walk way and started off up the road. By the time the first km clicked over I knew I was in trouble. I felt as if someone had pulled my clutch out and left me with only 1st gear!!!!! I just couldn't get any rhythm going or any speed. Even down the hill on my 2nd km is painfully slow to what my normal time is. As I was continuing on my walk I was thinking of turning back at 5km.....but I got to 5km and thought ... no Coach will be cross...keep going....so on I went and the slower I got. I felt like my battery was slowly draining and by 10km I was actually concerned that I would even make it home. I couldn't even get my heart rate up. By now the back of my left knee was sore and also my left quad.....I had already figured out that it was due to me walking too slow and not getting my stride right. I got to the walkway that heads up over the motor way and to Beatsons road and just walked normally up it and carried on my slow way home.

All I could think about was how embarrassing this is going to be if this happens when I am over in Melbourne or in Sacramento. I could feel a little dark cloud brewing above me and can even picture the wee lightening bolts that kept zapping from out of it. No matter how hard I tried to think positive the little black cloud would envelop me again. I can only hope that a good night sleep will see me right and I will be back to my normal self and have a great race tomorrow.

When I got home and spoke to shane about how I was feeling - he suggested that as I have been taking hay-fever tablets to dry up my nose that perhaps what ever is in them has also not helped, plus the stuff I have been squirting up my nose....my stationary tubes are blocked (making my ears squeak and pop when I blow my nose) so they effect balance....so he feels I am being too hard on my self and that I just need to park up and get a good nights sleep. (gotta love that man!)

so total time was 1:44:11 avg pace 6:30 avg h/r 129

16km out and back - Monaco

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nyle - I wouldn't even be concerned one bit about this one. It sounds like you were drained from something this week (be it a small cold, allergies, the track workout, whatever), and it hit you in time for this workout.

I have absolutely no doubt that this was just one of those crummy workouts where you just feel awful, and that you'll be right back to your normal self next time.

Tammy said...

Nyle - I echo Sarah. One bad workout is no big deal. Sounds to me like you do have a virus, with your eustachian tubes plugged up and the runny nose. I think you are a bit sick and maybe need some rest, but you will be FINE totally FINE in Sacramento. No biggie! We all have bad days from time to time. Give yourself a few days to feel better...maybe you should skip the race and get some rest?