Friday, April 01, 2011

8km out and back - Atawhai

After being unwell for the last 4 days I really wanted to go out today and have a good walk. I was not sure how I would fare as I was still not eating and still feeling very nauseous.

The weather was perfect. Overcast, no wind and mild temp. I started out and quickly settled into a good rhythm. My tummy was holding out well and I checked my time as the watch chirped at the 1km - 5.50 - hmmm so I decided that I would try to push on this walk and see what I get back. Now again, after telling my self the whole way down to the walk - to change my data recording back to 1km laps - I forgot again!!!!! so the data is in 2.5 blocks. But those like me that prefers to see 1km reps I have worked out what mine were.

So while I was feeling good I pushed. I was breathing quite hard, not gasping but definitely feeling the pick up of the pace. Funny thing, I reached 5km in a faster time than I did the other night in the 5km race......go figure.

As I was on the homeward stretch I felt a grumble in my stomach......I remember telling my self to hold it together. By the 3.5km mark I had the awful urge........we have all experienced it - the OMG I need the toilet NOW!!! urge. All I could do was hold on and try and make it back. I broke out in a cold sweat and the cramps were awful. Obviously what ever bug I had experienced had worked its way down past my stomach and was now threatening to cause me great discomfort.

1km to go. I was really struggling now, I new I was on target for a really good time but it was getting difficult to racewalk . (in my data under the player you can see my heart rate spike up and stay at 170 and my speed go totally erratic for the last km, shows how distressed I had become)

I dont think I have ever been so pleased to finish a walk. I looked at my watch.............looked again.............and let out a very loud "wahoooo"

total time for the 8km is 46:23

1km - 5:50
2km - 5:50
3km - 5:48
4km - 5:52
5km - 5:48
6km - 5:42
7km - 5:48
8km - 5:45

8km out and back - Atawhai

3 comments:

Tammy said...

very fast...very very fast...so sorry about your stomach tthough - i have been there and that HURTS!

you are going to clean up in sacramento!!!

Unknown said...

OMG, I'm impressed that you held it together! And managed to keep those km times! Way to go!

Andrew Shelley said...

That's impressive at any time, but even more so when you've been sick and your insides are playing up like that