Thursday, January 20, 2011

10km out and back - railway reserve

Now this is more like it!!! 10km for 60:51

I woke up at 3am. My stomach was in knots and my mind was racing. Tonight at 6.30pm my daughter flys out to head off for a new life in Cairns and I dont know how long it will be before I see her again. Dont get me wrong, I am really happy for her and thrilled that she has taken the risk and is going. She has already got a job and an apartment plus her boyfriend is about a 30min drive away too. I am upset for my own selfish reasons - I will miss her. At 4am the local hedgehog was out sniffing around outside our window and so I ended up waking up Shane while I was hanging out the bedroom window with a torch trying to scare the thing off....not sure how got more of a fright.....Shane or the hedgehog! So we sat up and talked until 5.30am ..... I figured that seeing as I am awake I should have some breakfast so I can go for my walk in the morning. So I made a bowl of cereal and then went back to bed for a couple of hours sleep.

I got up and decided to head out along the reserve for this 10km as it gives me the hill to plow back up. I was not really planning on it being to quick as I had pushed a little faster than planned in the 5km last night. I was surprised to see I did 6:30 for my first km up the track as its got a good incline on it so I picked up the pace going down Beatson's Road and evened out my pace by doing 2km in 12:06.....so I figured....lets see what I can do for 5km as I was feeling ok....not amazing but ok. Well I pushed on up the railway reserve and again surprised myself by staying fairly consistent along here as it is slightly up hill. Just as I was about to make 5km I flicked a stone up into my shoe so the last 100m til I clicked 5km was a little painful. So I stopped my watch (but hit lap instead doh...then hit stop) hmmmm 29:41 thats not too bad considering its alittle up hill for a part of it. I flicked the stone out and started back. I knew I had 3km of uphill and that I would loose the time I had gained but I was still going to try and get my 10km done in 60 ish mins.....I figured that would be a good test for me as Buller is undulating and similar incline to what this walk way is like.

10km out and back - railway reserve

No comments: