Thursday, January 06, 2011

12km out and back - atawhai

I didn't do the 5km......in fact I didn't do any training.....instead I had decided to take my beautiful cat Gizmo to the vet.

It dawned on me Tuesday night that I had not seen him all day and actually couldn't remember if he had come in and even had his dinner the night before. So at 5pm Shakara and I went out side to call him and see if we could find him. We did, he was curled up in the corner of the garden and didn't look too good. I actually thought he had fallen off the fence and was a bit winded. I picked him up and brought him inside, he didn't want to eat anything and was having trouble walking. I picked him up and put him on our bed. Gizmo is not an inside cat nor is he a hugger. ... unless its on his terms, but he stayed on the bed ALL night and ALL day.....by 1pm I was getting worried as he had not drunk or eaten. I got a straw and fed him some water but it wasn't really enough to do much. I did another search on line and it all pointed to him eating poison....so I rang the vet and they suggested I bring him in but she did warn me that it didn't sound too good. Sadly, it wasn't good news. Poor Gizmo had kidney stones and she showed me straight away that he had a blocked penis and that his kidneys had shut down. She said he had probably been unwell for a while but just didn't show it. The only thing I could do for Gizmo was put him to sleep as the vet said he was in a lot of pain and that there was little they could do. It was so hard coming home with out him....there were tears....lots....and a few wines.....NO training.

Gizmo sitting on the square post of the fence watching me cooking tea. He would sit there for hours just watching us.  


So this morning I got up and headed out with Stephen at 9am.....into the wind and rain for 12km. Was slow going out as we had the head wind but about 5km it all calmed down and so we picked up the pace and came home a bit quicker than going out. 1:17:30 for an avg of 6:27 pace.

12km out and back - atawhai

1 comment:

Anthony said...

From personal experience, I know what this feels like.

To absent friends...