Friday, January 07, 2011

3km farlek at track

If ever there was a day I should have just stayed at home.....today was it.

I was down for a 8km fartlek and had arranged to do it out on the Atawhai Walkway at 4pm as I had family coming over from Blenheim that morning.

Well the temperature just kept climbing .... at 2pm it was already 30 degs in the City and 35degs out on our deck. Stephen sent me a text to say he was not walking....too hot and he had other things to do. So I decided the sensible thing to do was wait myself until later in the day for it too cool down. By 4pm the wind was picking up and by 5pm it was really blowing but still very very hot. So Shane suggested going down to the track and doing it there as he thought it would help with distance etc and that it might be more sheltered out there.

We got to the track and I had forgotten my key so we had to climb the fence. The wind was still there but no were as bad as out at Atawhai. I warmed up for doing a couple of quiet laps and then I started sneezing. The wind was blowing from Rabbit Island direction and you could smell the pollen on the wind. My eyes started to water and my sneezing got worse. I was not overly happy to be at the track but as Shane wanted to help felt I should give it a try. I started out and got the 1st km done in 5:35 and then started the 500m reps.....as I came round on my 2nd km I noticed people had started arriving. One of them called out that the Collgate Kids had booked the track and would be needing lane 1......I said I would finish up in 2 more laps....So in total I did 3km at the track. We jumped in the car and drove home, where by now I was sneezing and my nose was running flat out. I jumped on the treadmill and did 500m on 9.5km/hour and then 500m on 10.5km/hour.....but after 3km with my nose running flat out and my sneezing I had to stop.

I have now noticed that just being out in the sun for the 20mins I was I am blistered up my arms and across my shoulders. I have hayfever now - runny nose and red eyes.

So it will be up early tomorrow morning to do 10km. Thats got to go better than todays walk.

3km farlek at track

No comments: