Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Years Day Shoe Clinic 10km - 2011

Today was my rest day, but I wanted to walk in the New Years Day Shoe Clinic 10km.  As I have to do 20km in the morning the deal was that I could walk it as a training walk.  Sweet!!!

Hind sight is a fabulous thing - I probably should have just helped out rather than walk it.  Everything went wrong leading up to this walk.  My daughter wanted to have something nice and different for New Years breakfast and want McDonalds Breakfast Bagel.  So after much debate and searching for what would be the better things for us to eat.  I settled on the hotcakes but no butter.  So by weight watcher standards - thats 8 points!!!  almost half of my daily allowance.....peachy!!!

After that Shane and I went out and mowed the lawns - takes a good 2 hours today.  Then we decided to get all the house work done in one hit....so another hour and that was all dusted over.  We thought how bout getting the groceries now....so off we went.  Funny how when you decide to eat healthy it doubles your grocery bill???? whats up with that!!!  So while we went through the check out I looked at my watch, oh its 3pm - shane asks when is your race??  oh 3.45pm start....so when we got home he unpacked the car and I raced inside to change.  I then checked the site to get the start time to find it was at 3.30.......and it was 3.15....EEEKKKKKKK so I grabbed my keys and flew out the door....half way to the race I realised I had left my bag, my wallet, my license and my GPS watch all at home.  GREAT...does it get any better. 

I made it to the start with 4mins to spare..phew.....So I had not eaten since 9am or drunk any water all day....oh dear this was going to be ugly, thank goodness I was not to race it.

The race starts and Wendy bolted off to the lead and Pete, Stephen and myself ticked along - passing 2km in 12:30 (I think thats what Stephen said)  Then the guys got competitive and started to pick up the pace so I dropped off to let them go.  To be honest I was struggling to keep up anyway.  I was tired!!  To me - my pace slowed and slowed till I felt like I was only just race walking and almost rec walking.  But I kept going having no idea of my time or my pace...it was really weird not having my watch on.  Funny how you come to rely on it so much.  I have started to try and work out how fast I thought I was going, the guys were ahead of me, Stephen had pulled a head of Pete....(wow I thought...sly ol fox)  I figured if they were hoping to do 62mins...and pete was a good 2 mins a head of me and stephen was another 2mins.....so I was thinking I was doing about 68mins...if I was lucky.  It just felt sooooo slow.

When I rounded the last part of the race and saw the finish I was rapt....I was tired and sore and my knee was starting to hurt.  I called out as I went across the line - whats my time???  1:02 was the response.  I thought he was kidding...............Wendy did 58 and Stephen also did 58 and nearly caught her.  wow, for someone who has only just started walking again after being injured and ill, thats bloody awesome!!

So I guess thats my first time for the year and its actually not too bad for a training walk of 10km.

No comments: